Choosing the right bed size is just as important as choosing the right mattress.
Many people grow up using twin or full-sized beds, but there are some who long for a bigger bed. For those people, these beds are perfect for them to enjoy an extra amount of space when sleeping.
A lot of people would often wonder if it is really worth the investment to purchase one since they can simply share their twin or double bed with someone else.
It is possible but not advisable since the pressure points on the shared mattress might build up over time and possibly damage your mattresses over time.
However, you can always choose to upgrade your old mattresses into queen-sized ones if you want more room in your bedroom. This will not only provide you with enough space to move around freely, but it will also be a great way to save money since you can reuse your old mattresses.
Standard UK Bed Sizes
- Twin size bed dimensions: 25.5 x 38 inches – 39 x 76 cm
- Double bed: 39 x 75 Inches – 77×195 cm
- Queen size: 60 x 80 Inches -152 x 203 cm
- King size bed dimensions: 76 x 81 Inches 193 X 208 cm
- Super Kingsize dimensions: 78x 83 Inches 198×213 cm
There is also a single bed size, called a single bed or a 3/4 size bed. It is about 4 feet 6 inches wide, which is around 132 centimeters. This may be adequate for children (however, bunk beds still are more popular) who share a room and also for guest rooms in the home. The dimensions of a single bed are standardized by an ISO standard.
Just like any other thing you buy, it is important to consider the features of the queen bed before making a purchase. This will help you narrow down your choices and make choosing much easier.
By having enough knowledge regarding these beds; you will be able to pick out the best one for you.
The following are some of the most common features that buyers look at when buying this size of beds:
- Mattress Material – The mattress material depends primarily on what kind of sleeper you are WaterFlex Mattress offers pocketed coil technology which allows them to provide a more traditional feel while reducing motion transfer to ensure a more restful sleep. Pocketed Coils also provide better support and less motion transfer. Or, if you prefer something more luxurious, choose the Avena Memory Foam Mattress for your bed.
- Bed Frame Material – The next important thing to consider when choosing a new bed is the frame material. There are various frames available in the market, so you need to know how to differentiate them in order to find the best one for your mattress.
- Adjustable Bed Frames – Regular bed frames do not allow you much flexibility in terms of positioning, which may also limit your comfort. However, with adjustable bed frames, you can easily reposition your head and feet depending on how you feel at any particular time in order to provide better alignment and support while relieving pressure in some parts of your body.
These are just some of the factors to take into account when choosing the bed that is perfect for you.
Always take your time to research and compare different options before making a purchase in order to ensure that you are not paying more than what you need.
Pros and Cons
- The bigger dimension allows for more sleeping space, so you have the option to stretch out while sleeping
- Allows for better airflow due to having larger gaps in between bed frames
- You can always add a mattress foundation or box spring since it is easy to find compatible products from various manufacturers
- Usually comes with better warranty coverage since they are made of high-quality materials
- Fewer options when buying your sheets, comforters, and other bedding accessories
- Harder to find storage that is made specifically for these beds
So these are just some of the pros and cons associated with the bed.
As a rule of thumb, make sure you check the dimensions of your available room before deciding on which would be best suited for your bedroom setup.
This way, you will avoid having to buy extra components which you really do not need.
UK Price Range
Price can vary depending on the style, design, mattress type, and materials used.
Different manufacturers also offer different prices, so if you are ready to spend more, then expect to get something that is of premium quality.
Average prices for these beds in the UK tend to fall between 700 and 1000 pounds.
Best Place To Buy
There are many different places where you can buy a bed from.
However, buying online is a good option as it allows you to compare prices and styles quickly before making a purchase.
This way, you can have a better idea of what you need and how much it is going to cost before actually buying.
Full vs. Queen: Sizes and Comparison
Full-size beds with double mattresses are basically the same as a queen bed but with less length proper for smaller bedrooms.
The two types of beds can also be differentiated on their weight capacity, where full-size beds will only accommodate up to 400 pounds of weight while queen-sized beds will have a higher limit.
So these are some of the things you need to know when choosing between the two different types of beds.
Queen-sized beds do tend to offer more features and benefits, so if you plan on using it for years, then go ahead and spend a little extra now in order to enjoy your purchase for longer.
What are the most popular mattress sizes?
A queen-sized mattress is more popular than a king size.
It has been estimated that 42% of the population sleeps on this mattress, while only 31% sleep on a king.
The difference may be less than you think, but it’s still significant enough to mean that people are happier with queens in their homes than kings. It is for this reason that I believe that most manufacturers build bigger beds in order to target this group of people.
This is not to say that there aren’t plenty of large individuals who prefer kings, but when looking at them together, it can be said that queens are more common.
So if you are someone who prefers to have extra bedroom space when sleeping without feeling crowded by your bedding materials, then a queen-size mattress is the way to go.
Different Types of Mattresses
Mattresses are often categorized by the kind of materials used in their construction.
This is one of the most popular types of mattresses that are available on the market today. They are constructed with coils that will be covered by several inner layers.
The top layer is what you feel when you lie down, and it’s also this layer that can be giving or firm depending on how thick it is
This type of mattress usually consists of foam layers stacked on top of each other. The main advantage of foam mattresses is their ability to contour to the shape of your body, which will help promote proper spine alignment.
Memory Foam Mattress
These are made from visco-elastic foam, which is meant to allow your body to sink in while still providing it with the necessary support.
These are made from natural or synthetic rubber and gives you a bouncy, firm feel when you lie down. It also has the advantage of being naturally resistant to dust mites.
The main feature of this type of bed is its ability to provide additional comfort and support while at the same time giving your partner freedom of movement.
This mattress consists of many different layers which provide different kinds of sleep experiences.
Pocket sprung mattresses
These are made from hundreds of pocket springs which are designed to support your body weight by distributing it evenly.
Choosing the right mattress is essential in order to get the sleep you really need. As a result, always take your time when shopping around so you can have more time comparing different types and making comparisons between products.
Alternatives to Queen Sized Mattresses
Small double beds are often thought of as smaller or less luxurious options to queen-sized beds, but that’s not entirely true.
With an estimated population of only 12% having a king bed, most people who do own one either inherited it from someone else or moved into a house that had them already installed.
This means that the market for a full and a small double bed is still fairly large, which makes investing in this type of bed more advisable.
So before spending too much time deciding between buying the same size mattress or anything larger, consider the price difference between them first. This will allow you to compare prices easier before making your final decision.
Who are queen-sized beds good for?
They are good for adults who like to be surrounded by plenty of bedding materials.
This is especially true if you are looking at purchasing mattress-to-box spring sets. The boxspring will often have slats that are spaced closely together, which means that it will take only one or two layers before the mattress starts sagging.
This, therefore, means that even thinner mattresses can have problems with providing the full effect of being thus sized.
- So if you’re someone who likes to sleep near the edge of your mattress, then this size might not be ideal for you. Similarly, taller people might find themselves feeling confined by its width.
- People who prefer more movement when they sleep should also consider this aspect since their partner will also be moving around the mattress quite often.
- These, however, do not mean that you can’t or shouldn’t buy a queen-sized mattress for your room. They are still practical and common in terms of general use.
- Some people even purchase them simply because they like the extra space it provides.
- Whether you’re sleeping alone or with someone else, the bed will always give you some breathing space which is something everyone’s home should have
These beds might not be for everyone, but as long as you understand what kind of situations they are most appropriate for then, it won’t be too hard to decide whether spending some extra money on one is worth it or not.
How to care?
Mattress protectors are a good way of keeping your mattress clean and crisp, so you don’t have to wash it too frequently.
These can also help ease the pressure from dust mites which might be a problem for the more sensitive sleeper.
- When cleaning your bedding or sheets then regular washing is advised, but avoid using bleach as this will degrade the quality of the fibers.
- If you do get rips on your mattress, then fixing these yourself is not advised. First, because you could make them worse and second because replacing it with a similar model would be easier than trying to find someone who can mend it in an identical fashion
So when shopping around for new beds, make sure they come with a warranty in case anything happens to your mattress.
The beds are an investment that should be taken seriously if you want them to last you a long time.
Queen Size Bed Reviews
There are many different reviews online that will help you decide on which brand to buy. This includes detailed specifications as well as some customer feedback on the overall quality of the product, pros, and cons, etc.
These beds are generally designed for comfort, so if you prefer something that is sleek and stylish, then opt for pocketed coil technology or Avena Memory Foam Mattress.
WaterFlex offers both options for their customers who want something more traditional while still providing extra support.
Queen size beds are for those who want more floor space in the bedroom.
These days there are so many different styles and brands to choose from, all with their own advantages and disadvantages, so do your research before making a purchase.